Life on the Rock

Sunday, September 17, 2006

Buying a Car...



Usually this event would not be too stressful but, doing it in a third world country is a whole other story. Originally I was not going to get one but as time moved on I needed my independence. The cars here on the island are shady to say the least. A car that costs around $6,000 here may not even cost $2,000 in the States. Therefore, it is the luck of the draw. Since St. Kitts is part of the British Virgin Islands you are required to drive on the wrong side of the road sitting on the wrong side of the car. The cars you buy here never leave the island. They are referred to as "Rossmobiles" and believe me, if you saw them you would see why they do not return to the States. It is a given that they will break down and since we are in the middle of nowhere it may take the entire semester to get them fixed. I ended up purchasing my car from a local...I believe I got a good deal and when I say good deal, so far it has started every time I have attempted to start it. Who knows what will happen tomorrow, things seem to go day by day around here. These are pictures of what my friends call the "G-Ride". It is a red Mitsubishi Lancer with limo tint windows and black flames that surround the lights. As you can see there is also black carpet and red flames in the interior and the license plate is surrounded by a fake chain. It originally said "sound boy" across the windshield but that had to immediatly go...I am a single white woman in a third world country, we don't want the locals to think that MTV has come down to the island and "Pimped my Ride"!!! It has a CD player but I am only going to give it about a month before that is stolen. As long as it gets me too and from school (and maybe the occasional bar) I will be happy:):) Keep your fingers crossed....

2 Comments:

  • At 3:33 PM, Blogger Kheli said…

    Since the drivers test is so easy in St. Kitts, Soto was able to pass and he is now my driver...he actually drives better than most of the locals:):):)

     
  • At 6:49 PM, Blogger Krista K. said…

    Rockstar is his autopilot...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home