Life on the Rock

Sunday, September 17, 2006

Arriving to St. Kitts


The beginning of this crazy adventure started with a very long stressful flight from LAX to Miami and then on to the island of St. Kitts. The 15 hours of travel would not have been too nerve racking if it weren't for Soto needing to travel in cargo. The first stretch from LA to Miami went as smooth as could be expected but the stretch from Miami was a different situation. Leaving Miami the temperature was too warm to fly with a dog in cargo, so we were rebooked onto the next flight out the in the morning. As the agent reprints our tickets the temperature miraculously drops and the agent allows us to fly. Thank goodness, trying to find a hotel that would have allowed Soto to stay would have been a nightmare in itself. Finally we arrive to the island, to be greeted by representatives of the University. We were able to buy a few groceries and get settled into my new apartment. I have to say that I have never been so happy to have burgular bars on my windows. I am also very happy to have brought my big scary watch dog...okay, maybe it is just a big bark but at least it fakes the locals out:) After arriving I had two weeks to get settled and take care of things such as a driving license, internet, cable, etc. In regards to the piece of paper that they claim is a license...I went to the fire department, payed some money, and took their drivers test. By "test", that refers to the one question they asked me... "You know you drive on the left side of the road?". Until you visit you will not understand how horrible the drivers are in this country...maybe I should not be suprised considering the test consists of one question. I initially decided not to buy a car. I figured that since all the cars down here are way over priced, half the time don't start, and you sit on the right side to drive...I did not think that I needed that extra stress. Thank goodness I was able to find some friends that could shuttle me around! This was fine for the first week of school but then I decided I needed my own freedom and I should get a car...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home